Welcome to the new Reading Today Online!
We streamlined navigation and search features so you can get to the articles you love more quickly. Let us take you on a brief tour.
Three Become One
Reading Today Online used to be divided into Reading Today Online, the Engage blog, and the Literacy Research Panel’s LRP Blog. Now these three are combined into Reading Today Online, but the topics you’ve told us you enjoy are still here. Access LRP articles by clicking on “Literacy Research” on the top navigation bar. Series and columns that were traditionally posted on the Engage blog now appear under the “Children’s & YA Literature” and “The Engaging Classroom” sections. So, if you’re looking for Teaching Tips, App a Day, and Plugged In, you’ll want to select “The Engaging Classroom.” Select “Children’s & YA Literature” for Anita’s Picks, 5 Questions With…, and The Librarians Recommend.
About those Sections….
Here is a breakdown of the new sections on Reading Today Online:
- Member & Event News—including Association News for board and organizational announcements;Conference & Events for Annual Conference articlesas well as updates on the Council Leadership Academy and International Literacy Day celebration; Councils & SIGs for articles from our state and provincial councils and our special interest groups; International for news from our global affiliates; and Members of the Month for interviews with featured IRA members.
- Literacy Research—the Literacy Research Panel’s section, which includes Ask a Researcher; Policy Monitor; Research & Practice, Our Take; Research Roundup; and Scintillating Studies.
- Legislation & Policy—government and advocacy news from Capitol Hill and beyond
- The Engaging Classroom—practical ideas for teachers including educational mobile app reviews in App a Day, writing lesson plans with curriculum connections in Beyond the Notebook, insights on integrating technology into literacy lessons from IRA’s Technology in Literacy Education Special Interest Group (TILE-SIG) in Digital Literacies, comments on the world of literacy education in In Other Words, technology tips from Julie D. Ramsay in Plugged In, how to frame a lesson around a book in Putting Books to Work, reflections with Mrs. Mimi in Quiet! Teacher in Progress, lesson ideas from teachers in Teaching Tips, articles from IRA’s Advisory Committee of Teachers (ACT) in Teaching in ACTion, and ways to use social media in the classroom in The Social Life.
- Children’s & YA Literature—book lists and reviews of new juvenile fiction and nonfiction releases including K-12 Book Reviews from IRA’s Children’s Literature and Reading Special Interest Group (CL/R SIG), Anita’s Picks from Anita Silvey, book ideas in The Librarians Recommend, and interviews with children’s book authors on 5 Questions With….
Search & Ye Shall Find
If you’re looking for an article on something specific or by a certain author, use the universal search at the top right of the page. This new search feature retrieves articles from every article published on Reading Today Online since May 2011, whether it was originally published on Reading Today Online, the Engage blog, or the LRP Blog.
Check out the Archives
Just browsing? Click on the “Archive” button on the top of the screen to see a list of all articles.
Go On, Get Social
Every article includes links to make it easy for your to share with your friends and followers on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and more. Don’t have time to check the site every day? Follow IRA on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+ to find out what’s new on Reading Today Online.
You May Also Like
Love the article you just read? Read similar ones or visit the resource links suggested in the “You May Also Like” section at the bottom of every article.
Talk Back—We’re Listening!
We welcome comments on articles at the bottom of each webpage. Comments are moderated before posting to avoid publishing spam messages.
Digital Versions of Reading Today
IRA members can still access the digital versions of the Reading Today print magazine by clicking on the link or the magazine cover image in the upper right corner of the screen.
You, Too, Can Publish on Reading Today Online
To learn how to submit content to Reading Today Online, click on the “Submissions” button at the top left of your screen.
Back to IRA
The link on the bottom left copyright area takes you back to the IRA home page on Reading.org.
We hope you enjoy the new Reading Today Online design. Take a few minutes to look around, then let us know what you think!