Writing for IRA E-ssentials
IRA E-ssentials provide timely, practical strategies and teaching ideas for classroom teachers of pre–K-12 students in an electronic format that can be accessed on any PDF-friendly device. E-ssentials are published approximately twice per month, and we are accepting proposals on an ongoing basis.
IRA E-ssentials are short, original articles, approximately 5,000 words in length, and should be based on solid research but focused more on practical applications of best practices. E-ssentials should be written in an approachable voice and tone, with plenty of visual elements such as sidebars and helpful figures; electronic publishing allows for multimedia elements, too, such as hyperlinks to video or podcasts. Click here for a list of the current E-ssentials topics and series.
Please submit your E-ssentials proposal through our online manuscript submission site, Manuscript Central. IRA E-ssentials are not peer reviewed at this time but are reviewed by our editorial staff. Please do not send complete manuscripts unless requested.
Please include the following in your E-ssentials proposal:
Part 1: Letter of intent
Upload the following to Manuscript Central as one document, with the file designation "Letter of Intent."
- An abstract or summary that is no more than 250 words and includes the primary audience and goals of your book
- The timeline for delivering the full draft manuscript (approximately 5,000 words)
Part 2: Outline
Upload to Manuscript Central the following information as one document with the file designation "Chapter Files."
- A full, annotated outline, including subheadings and brief descriptions of main segments
- Notes on any pieces that may require permissions or additional production/editorial services
All E-ssentials proposals must be submitted online through IRA's Manuscript Central tracking system.
- Go to the Manuscript Central site to create an account, or log in to your existing account.
- When you log in to your account with your username and password, select "IRA Books" from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Author Center link.
- Click on the blue star and follow the instructions provided on each screen. (Under "Manuscript Type," select "E-ssentials" from the drop-down menu.)
- A confirmation e-mail will acknowledge our receipt of your manuscript.
- You can follow the progress of your book proposal by accessing your Author Center anytime.