This list of highlights for the Annual Convention on Sunday, April 29, features events gathered from the online program grid, Guide to the Stars, and more! Visit the online program grid's event search or the interactive digital version of the program for a full list of sessions and more details.
Be sure to stop by the IRA Bookstore at the International Reading Association (IRA) 57th Annual Convention in Chicago for the Sunday Sale! It runs from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. across from the IRA Membership Booth and Registration.
The following institutes are held from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in various meeting rooms in McCormick Place West and the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place.
- Institute 1: Unit Projects that Work: Create Amazing Comprehensive Keepsake Books
- Institute 2: Think Along Strategies and Common Core State Standards
- Institute 3: Promoting Vocabulary Development from Pre-K to Grade 12
- Institute 4: Teaching Literacy for Cognitive Engagement
- Institute 5: Things Digital and Literacy Instruction
- Institute 6: Literacy and Language in the Early Years
- Institute 7: Writing Strategy Mini-lessons for Grades K-6
- Institute 8: Quality Literacy Instruction for Second Language Learners
- Institute 9: Raising Self-Determining Readers and Writers
- Institute 10: Convincing teachers to Apply New Common Core Literacy Standards
- Institute 11: It’s Not Magic! It’s Metacognition!
- Institute 12: Rekindling the Reading Fire-Author Panel
- Institute 13: The Reading-Spelling-Meaning Instructional Connection
- Institute 14: IRA/NCATE: A Partnership for Reading Professional
- Institute 15: Reaching New Heights: Differentiating Literacy Instruction
- Institute 16: Fostering Literacy with Research-Based Instructional Practices and Web 2.0
- Institute 17: Developing Literacy Leadership
- Institute 18: Research Making a Difference in Common Core Standards
In the evening, awards for councils and international affiliates are presented from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at a ceremony and reception in the Chicago Hilton & Towers International Ballroom.
Event times and locations are subject to change. Remember to "like" the 57th Annual Convention, Chicago 2012 on Facebook and "follow" ReadingToday and the #IRA2012 hashtag on Twitter to see posts and updates throughout the day!
Check Reading Today Online after 11:00 a.m. on Sunday for the Monday morning overview!
Program Grid with Details about Speakers and Sessions
Program Grid Event Search Tool
Itinerary Planner Tool
Interactive Digital Version of the Program
Annual Convention Guide to the Stars Book Signing Schedule
List of Author Sessions PDF from Engage
More About the Annual Convention
Register for the International Reading Association Annual Convention