Editor Search Open for the
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
The International Reading Association invites applications from qualified members for the position of editors of the Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy (JAAL). The deadline for applications is Wednesday, October 15, 2014.
This prestigious editorship functions as a two-person team of either two coeditors or one editor with one associate editor. These volunteer positions have a term of 6 years: The first year overlaps with the current editorial team, and the subsequent years constitute the volumes for which the new editors provide material.
- Term: June 1, 2015, to May 31, 2021
- Volumes: 60 through 64, publishing July 2016 through May 2021
JAAL is the leading peer-reviewed journal for educators of literacy learners ages 12 and older. The journal reflects current theory, research, and practice in support of effective literacy instruction. Readership includes middle school, secondary, and postsecondary classroom teachers; university researchers and scholars; literacy consultants; administrators; and policymakers. Qualified applicants must be recognized experts in the field of literacy education of learners in this age group and in professional development of pre- and inservice teachers; they must also demonstrate a commitment to translating sound research to practice.
Candidates should carefully review the Overview of Journal Editorship: Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy and the Application for Editorship of Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy. In addition to the completed application document, candidates must submit the following by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) on October 15:
- A cover letter.
- A full curriculum vitae for each member of the applicant team.
- A letter from each team member's institution indicating the level of institutional support offered should the team be successful. (If both members are from the same institution, a single letter covering both applicants is sufficient.)
Key dates in the application process are as follows:
- October 15, 2014 - Phase 1 application deadline.
- November 21, 2014 - Applicants notified whether they will move on to Phase 2 and assigned an editorial task if so.
- December 12, 2014 - Phase 2 assignments due.
- January 15–16, 2015 - Finalist interviews held at IRA headquarters.
Please direct queries to Shannon Fortner, Director of Educational Resources, at email@example.com or by calling 302-731-6978.