R5 in Your Classroom
A Guide to Differentiating Independent Reading and Developing Avid Readers
Michelle J. Kelley and Nicki Clausen-Grace
More about the authors
R5 embraces the social aspect that students seek; it begs for the choices that help students become engaged readers.
— Janet Allen, from the Foreword
This book is now available only as a PDF e-book -- downloadable and viewable on your computer, tablet, or select reader.
Learn how to use R5, a unique, structured independent reading block that encourages students to Read, Relax, Reflect, Respond, and Rap. You’ll find out how to validate and support your intermediate-grade students’ reading comprehension—regardless of their ability level or initial interest in reading—and get your students excited about reading!
R5 in Your Classroom, which builds on the authors’ bestseller Comprehension Shouldn’t Be Silent, provides the detailed information you need to successfully implement R5 in your existing curriculum. In these pages, you’ll learn how to
- Use current research on the importance of independent reading to establish R5 and make time for it in your busy classroom routine
- Recognize all the different types of readers in your classroom, and differentiate instruction to meet their needs through scaffolding, conferring, and peer support
- Evaluate your students’ reading interests and special skills sets to help them find the right books
- Develop a workable and meaningful at-home reading program that gets parents involved in their children’s independent reading
- Build an accessible, exciting classroom library without breaking your budget
Plus, step-by-step instructions, reproducibles, and classroom examples can help you get started with R5 immediately.
© 2008 | 184 pp.
ISBN 13: 978-0-87207-684-6
This publication is available as a PDF e-book, which you can access from your My Account page after purchase. If you don't already have an online account you will be asked to create one during checkout.
IRA Members: $13.95
Members save $4.00!
Please note that this PDF
e-book is not eligible for
return or exchange.
on strategies from