Dollar General Literacy Foundation Grants
Deadline: May 23, 2013
The Dollar General Literacy Foundation provides grants to qualifying nonprofit organizations in the forty states where Dollar General stores are located. The foundation's Youth Literacy Grants provide funding to schools, public libraries, and nonprofit organizations working to help students who are below grade level or experiencing difficulty reading.
Library of Congress Literacy Awards Program
Take a look at the new Library of Congress Literacy Awards program announced at the Library’s first International Literacy Summit in December 2012. The awards will be made in October 2013 and will recognize and support outstanding achievements in the field of literacy, both in the United States and abroad. Applications will become available at the end of January on www.read.gov/cfb. The application deadline is April 15, 2013.
Three prizes will be awarded annually:
- The David M. Rubenstein Prize ($150,000), for a groundbreaking contribution to the sustained advancement of literacy by any individual or entity worldwide
- The American Prize ($50,000), for a project developed and implemented during the past decade with special emphasis on combating aliteracy
- The International Prize ($50,000), for the work of an individual, nation or nongovernmental organization working in a specific country or region
Winners of International Reading Association/Rotary International/Pearson Foundation $2500 Awards
Awards were presented at the International Literacy Day event on Sept. 7, 2012 at the Library of Congress.
Details on the winners here!
- Reading Rocks in Rockford: Rockford Michigan Rotary Club partnered with the Kent, Michigan Reading Council in Rockford Michigan.
- Guatemala Bookmaking: Salem Oregon Rotary Club partnered with the Oregon’s Vineyards Valley Reading Council.
- Clothe the Body; Feed the Mind: Ellensburg (WA) Morning Rotary partnered with CentralWORD, the IRA affiliate at Central Washington University.