The International Reading Association has issued the following statement, which offers detailed guidance on seven issues that have proven enormously challenging to teachers, principals, administrators, and others who are charged with implementing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English Language Arts.
Download the Literacy Implementation Guidance for the ELA Common Core State Standards
This statement zeroes in on specific language in the Standards, including new meanings of key terms, major shifts in instructional focus, and critical points on which the Standards are simply silent. In each instance, the committee has given bulleted recommendations that address the identified challenge by offering practical strategies for moving forward.
These guidelines were developed by IRA’s Board-appointed Common Core State Standards Committee:
- Brenda Overturf, Literacy Perspectives, LLC, Co-Chair
- Timothy Shanahan, University of Illinois, Chicago, Co-Chair
- Les Burns, University of Kentucky
- Lori DiGisi, Senior Literacy Associate at Public Consulting Group
- Elfreida Hiebert, Text Project, Inc.
- Sarah Fleming Mahurt, Virgin Island Department of Education
- Lesley Morrow, Rutgers University
- Dorothy Strickland, Rutgers University
- Carrice Cummins, IRA President
- Maureen McLaughlin, East Stroudsburg University of PA, President-Elect of IRA
- William Teale, University of Illinois, Chicago, IRA Board Member Liaison
- Rich Long, IRA Government Relations Director, Ex Officio
International Reading Association Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Committee. (2012). Literacy implementation guidance for the ELA Common Core State Standards
[White paper]. Retrieved from
http://www.reading.org/Libraries/association-documents/ira_ccss_guidelines.pdf Press Release
As part of our mission to improve the quality of literacy instruction as it relates to implementing the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, IRA has developed a comprehensive Common Core State Standards resources section on Reading.org
. This section includes Q&As about CCSS implementation
In the coming months, IRA will be developing a comprehensive Resource Alignment Strategy Kit to accompany this statement. If you would like to be contacted about this FREE Strategy Kit, please click on the above envelope to be contacted about upcoming IRA CCSS resources.